Hi Murthy,

32768 is a bit low (I know datastax docs recommend this). But our production
env is now running on 1kk, or you can even put it on unlimited.

Pieter

From: Murthy Chelankuri [mailto:kmurt...@gmail.com]
Sent: donderdag 7 november 2013 12:46
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Getting into Too many open files issues

Thanks Pieter for giving quick reply.
I have downloaded  the tar ball. And have changed the limits.conf as per the
documentation like below.

* soft nofile 32768
* hard nofile 32768
root soft nofile 32768
root hard nofile 32768
* soft memlock unlimited
* hard memlock unlimited
root soft memlock unlimited
root hard memlock unlimited
* soft as unlimited
* hard as unlimited
root soft as unlimited
root hard as unlimited

root soft/hard nproc 32000

Some reason with in less than an hour cassandra node is opening 32768 files and
cassandra is not responding after that.
It is still not clear why cassadra is opening that many files and not closing
properly ( does the laest cassandra 2.0.1 version have some bugs ).
what i have been experimenting is 300 writes per sec and 500 reads per sec.
And i have using 2 node cluster with 8 core cpu and 32GB RAM ( Virtuval
Machines)

Do we need to increase the nofile limts to more than 32768 ?

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Pieter Callewaert