> But this becomes troublesome if I add or remove nodes. What effectively I
> want is to partition on the unique id of the record modulus N (id % N; where
> N is the number of nodes).
This is exactly the problem consistent hashing (used by cassandra) is designed
to solve. If you hash the key and modulo the number of nodes, adding and
removing nodes requires a lot of data to move.

> I want to be able to randomly distribute a large set of records but keep them
> clustered in one wide row per node.
Sounds like you should revisit your data modelling, this is a pretty well known
anti pattern.

When rows get above a few 10’s  of MB things can slow down, when they get above
50 MB they can be a pain, when they get above 100MB it’s a warning sign. And
when they get above 1GB, well you you don’t want to know what happens then.

It’s a bad idea and you should take another look at the data model. If you have
to do it, you can try the ByteOrderedPartitioner which uses the row key as a
token, given you total control of the row placement.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton