I believe you are being confusing by using both thrift and CQL3. If you
haven't done so, you can try checking blog posts like
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/thrift-to-cql3,
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/cql3-for-cassandra-experts and maybe
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/does-cql-support-dynamic-columns-wide-rows.
They might hopefully clear things up.

But basically the error message is correct, 'e1' is not a CQL column
selected by your SELECT statement (it's not part of the select clause) and
in fact, it's not even one of the CQL column of the table as indicated by
your 'SELECT *' in cqlsh. From a CQL point of view, 'e1' is just one value
for the CQL column named 'name'.

Note: none of that as anything to do with the fact you're Snappy
compressing the data you're inserting. As far as Cassandra is concern, all
that is just an opaque blob of data.

--
Sylvain