I agree having two tools is no good. I ended up discussing this in the IRC
channel for a bit yesterday for this column family.

   1. create column family BrowserStuff
   2.   with column_type = 'Standard'
   3.   and comparator = 'UTF8Type'
   4.   and default_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'
   5.   and key_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'
   6.   and read_repair_chance = 0.2
   7.   and dclocal_read_repair_chance = 0.0
   8.   and populate_io_cache_on_flush = false
   9.   and gc_grace = 259200
   10.   and min_compaction_threshold = 4
   11.   and max_compaction_threshold = 32
   12.   and replicate_on_write = false
   13.   and compaction_strategy =
   'org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy'
   14.   and caching = 'KEYS_ONLY'
   15.   and column_metadata = [
   16.     {column_name : 'st',
   17.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   18.     {column_name : 'tld',
   19.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   20.     {column_name : 'lst',
   21.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   22.     {column_name : 'conn',
   23.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   24.     {column_name : 'ua',
   25.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   26.     {column_name : 'dma',
   27.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   28.     {column_name : 'fst',
   29.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   30.     {column_name : 'zc',
   31.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   32.     {column_name : 'co',
   33.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   34.     {column_name : 'nc',
   35.     validation_class : IntegerType}]
   36.   and compression_options = {'chunk_length_kb' : '64',
   'sstable_compression' : 'org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor'
   };

AFAIK there is no way to create this EXACT column family definition from
CQL. CQL is missing a way to specify key_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'.
Asking users to create this column family from thrift is annoying. (I will
open a jira when I have time.)