Thunder, Cyril, thanks for your responses.

FWIW I started working on writing a set of InputFormat and
OutputFormat classes that use the DataStax Java driver instead of the
thrift client.  That seems to be going pretty well.  I am not sure if
I can eliminate all of the thrift code, but at least the RecordReader
was pretty easy to implement using only the DataStax driver.  I can
post a link if anyone is curious (once it is done).  The DataStax
driver has automatic paging and a few other nice features that made
the code more concise.

Best regards,
Clint