This must be something to do with server side validation. If I define the
table like this it does not happen:

cqlsh> CREATE KEYSPACE IF NOT EXISTS test1 WITH  REPLICATION = { 'class' :
'SimpleStrategy', 'replication_factor' : 1 };
cqlsh> use test1;
cqlsh:test1> create TABLE employees2 (time blob, name blob, value blob,
PRIMARY KEY (name, value)) WITH COMPACT STORAGE;

I should really update the AstClient benchmark so that it creates the table
itself. But as I said I am not very familiar with astyanax (or with
cassandra in general for that matter). It seems that I just happened to hit
an issue the the first time I was playing with it...

cheers,

Rüdiger

p.s. Did you also have a large performance difference between the Thrift
and the CQL?