Honestly, there's too many unknowns for me to accurately be able to help without poking around a shell on the node - I'm just guessing.

--
Michael

On 03/10/2014 12:50 PM, Sholes, Joshua wrote:
Depending on how it was installed, try making sure that the cassandra
user has an actual login shell defined in /etc/passwd and not something
like /sbin/nologin or /bin/false.

From: user 01 <user...@gmail.com <mailto:user...@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, March 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org <mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>"
<user@cassandra.apache.org <mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Cassandra DSC 2.0.5 not starting - "* could not access
pidfile for Cassandra"

    $*sudo su - cassandra*

*
I don't know why but this isn't actually working. It does not switch me
to *cassandra* user[btw .. should this actually switch me to cassandra
user?? ]. This user switching on my servers does not work for users like
*tomcat7* user, *cassandra* user but works for users that were manually
created by user. Actually I tested this on two of my test servers but
same results on both.