I have to reply to myself, since there were no helpful responses. Perhaps these notes can help other people from pulling their hair out.

When installing the datastax-agent on EL6, it is required to do a bunch of things to correct a bunch of stuff.

[] yum install mx4j log4j datastax-agent - do not install opscenter-agent, this is a stale/old package it seems. Ignore log4j errors on starting the agent. You may have to download the datastax-agent and force an install via rpm - it will conflict with sudo, because of the existance of the dir, /etc/sudo.d/ [] You may have to fix the UID/GIDs. Older packages set the cassandra UID/GID both to 217. Installing the agent conveniently mutilated them for us. I had to change the datastax-agent UID and GID back to 215, cassnandra UID/GID back to 217, and re-chown these directories:
                () /var/log/cassandra
                () /var/lib/cassandra
                () /var/run/cassandra
                () /var/log/datastax-agent
                () /var/lib/datastax-agent
                () /var/run/datastax-agent
[] If you can't get datastax-agent to install via opscenter automatically, you'll need to configure it manually:
                () yum install datastax-agent
                () mkdir -p /var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/
() echo "stomp_interface: 10.113.143.189" >> /var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/address.yaml
        [] restart the datastax-agent, and it should now work.

        Cassandra Upgrading notes:

[] We upgraded packages from apache-cassandra11 to cassandra12 - the new RPM is not configured as a replacement for the old one.
        [] Check your directory permissions as above, and in your data-storage
dir.
[] If you use a symlink or mount point to store your actual data on, it will be overwritten with an empty directory. Make sure to fix this, or you'll be in for a surprise. [] Make sure to install Sun Java - we use alternatives --config java, but have to do this to set the default JAVA_HOME: echo "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_51" >> /etc/profile.d/other-java.sh

I wasn't able to properly tag my questions on StackExchange, which required me to have a reputation value above 300. I dunno why it brought up that red box stating that I needed to have over 300 points to add a new tag, those tags seem to be in there today.