Parag:

To answer your questions:

1) Default is just that, a default. I wouldn't advise raising it though. The bigger it is the longer it takes to restart the node. 2) I think they juse use fsync. There is no queue. All files in cassandra use java.nio buffers, but they need to be fsynced periodically. Look at commitlog_sync parameters in cassandra.yaml file, the comments there explain how it works. I believe the difference between periodic and batch is just that -- if it is periodic, it will fsync every 10 seconds, if it is batch it will fsync if there were any changes within a time window.

On 2014-04-09 10:06:52 +0000, Parag Patel said:

1)      Why is the default 4GB?  Has anyone changed this? What are some aspects to consider when determining the commitlog size? 2)      If the commitlog is in periodic mode, there is a property to set a time interval to flush the incoming mutations to disk.  This implies that there is a queue inside Cassandra to hold this data in memory until it is flushed.
a.       Is there a name for this queue?
b.      Is there a limit for this queue?
c.       Are there any tuning parameters for this queue?

Thanks,
Parag

--
Regards,