I don't know about hector but the datastax java driver needs just one ip from
the cluster and it will discover the rest of the nodes. Then by default it will
do a round robin when sending requests. So if Hector does the same the patterb
will againg appear.
Did you look at the size of the dirs?
That documentation is for C* 0.8. It's old. But depending on your boxes you
might reach CPU bottleneck. Might want to google for write path in cassandra..
According to that, there is not much to do when writes come in...