You mean this:

?

On June 4, 2014 at 12:42:33 PM, Redmumba (redmu...@gmail.com) wrote:

Good morning!

I've asked (and seen other people ask) about the ability to drop old sstables,
basically creating a FIFO-like clean-up process.  Since we're using Cassandra
as an auditing system, this is particularly appealing to us because it means we
can maximize the amount of auditing data we can keep while still allowing
Cassandra to clear old data automatically.

My idea is this: perform compaction based on the range of dates available in
the sstable (or just metadata about when it was created).  For example, a major
compaction could create a combined sstable per day--so that, say, 60 days of
data after a major compaction would contain 60 sstables.

My question then is, will this be possible by simply implementing a separate
AbstractCompactionStrategy?  Does this sound feasilble at all?  Based on the
implementation of Size and Leveled strategies, it looks like I would have the
ability to control what and how things get compacted, but I wanted to verify
before putting time into it.

Thank you so much for your time!

Andrew