On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Jeremy Jongsma <jer...@barchart.com>
wrote:

> Is there any documentation on this? Obviously these limits will vary by
> cluster capacity, but for new users it would be great to know that you can
> run into problems with large queries, and how they present themselves when
> you hit them. The errors I saw are pretty opaque, and took me a couple days
> to track down.

All operations in Cassandra are subject to timeouts denominated in seconds,
defaulting to 10 seconds or less. This strongly suggests that operations
which, for example, operate on 20,000 * 20,000 objects (400Mn) have a
meaningful risk of failure, as they are difficult to accomplish within 10
seconds or less. Lunch is still not free.

In fairness, CQL adds another non-helpful layer of opacity here; but what
you get for it is accessibility and ease of first use.

> In any case this seems like a bug to me - it shouldn't be possible to
> completely lock up a cluster with a valid query that isn't doing a table
> scan, should it?

There's lots of valid SQL queries which will "lock up" your server, for
some values of "lock up"?

=Rob