My use case requires the support of arbitrary columns much like a CRM. My
users can define 'custom' fields within the application. Ideally I wouldn't
have to change the schema at all, which is why I like the old thrift
approach rather than the CQL approach.

Having said all that, I'd be willing to adapt my API to make explicit
schema changes to Cassandra whenever my user makes a change to their custom
fields if that's an accepted practice.

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out of the Cassandra community intends to
support true schemaless use cases in the future.

--
about.me <http://about.me/markgreene>