I have a table with a schema mostly of small fields.  About 30 of them.

The primary key is:

    primary key( bucket, sequence )

… I have 100 buckets and the idea is that sequence is ever increasing.
 This way I can read from bucket zero, and everything after sequence N and
get all the writes ordered by time.

I'm running

SELECT ... FROM content WHERE bucket=0 AND sequence>0 ORDER BY sequence ASC
LIMIT 1000;

… using the have driver.

If I add ALL the fields, except one, so 29 fields, the query is fast.  Only
129ms….

However, if I add the 'html' field, which is snapshot of HTML obvious, the
query times out…

I'm going to add tracing and try to track it down further, but I suspect
I'm doing something stupid.

Is it going to burn me that the data is UTF8 encoded? I can't image
decoding UTF8 is going to be THAT slow but perhaps cassandra is doing
something silly under the covers?

cqlsh doesn't time out … it actually works fine but it uses 100% CPU while
writing out the data so it's not a good comparison unfortunately

ception in thread "main"
com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.NoHostAvailableException: All host(s)
tried for query failed (tried: ...:9042
(com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.DriverException: Timeout during read))
 at
com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.NoHostAvailableException.copy(NoHostAvailableException.java:65)
at
com.datastax.driver.core.DefaultResultSetFuture.extractCauseFromExecutionException(DefaultResultSetFuture.java:256)
 at
com.datastax.driver.core.DefaultResultSetFuture.getUninterruptibly(DefaultResultSetFuture.java:172)
at com.datastax.driver.core.SessionManager.execute(SessionManager.java:92)
 at
com.spinn3r.artemis.robot.console.BenchmarkContentStream.main(BenchmarkContentStream.java:100)
Caused by: com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.NoHostAvailableException:
All host(s) tried for query failed (tried:
dev4.wdc.sl.spinn3r.com/10.24.23.94:9042
(com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.DriverException: Timeout during read))
 at
com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler.sendRequest(RequestHandler.java:103)
at com.datastax.driver.core.RequestHandler$1.run(RequestHandler.java:175)
 at
at
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*