So do partitions equate to tokens/vnodes?

If so we had configured all cluster nodes/vms with num_tokens: 256 instead
of setting init_token and assigning ranges.  I am still not getting why in
Cassandra 2.0, I would assign my own ranges via init_token and this was
based on the documentation and even this blog item
<http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/virtual-nodes-in-cassandra-1-2> that made
it seem right for us to always configure our cluster vms with num_tokens:
256 in the cassandra.yaml file.

Also in all testing, all vms were of equal sizing so one was not more
powerful than another.

I didn't think I was hitting an i/o wall on the client vm (separate vm)
where we command line scripted our query call to the cassandra cluster.
 I can break the client call load across vms which I tried early on.  Happy
to verify that again though.

So given that I was assuming the partitions were such that it wasn't a
problem.  Is that an incorrect assumption and something to dig into more?

Thanks,
Diane