On 07/22/2014 01:11 PM, Robert Stupp wrote:
> Let me respond with another question: How important is SQL for a JPA
> developer?
> IMO mappers help and make life easier. Period.

> Means: you should always know what the "thing" does to read/write your
> data. Practically not down to the details - but the concepts and
> pitfalls should be known.
> If you don't you will get into trouble - sooner or later.
>
> Robert
>
> PS: I avoid the abbreviation ORM - it includes the term "relational" ;)

Agreed. That is why in previous posts I've been calling it "PoJo
Mapping".  When someone suggests I try on yet another hat, though, I get
a little excited. ;-)

In this case I've been wearing the ORM / RDBMS hat for long enough that
I actually don't think about it much. So your point is made. I've
already been wearing the hat in question.  I surmise if you are using a
mapper, it should be more a matter of knowing how the annotations map to
the back-end rather than the CQL. This may make the transition easier,
because as you say, it eliminates the cruft.

Jim C.