On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Ben Hood <0x6e6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I was wondering if we were doing something wrong by not returning
> the result meta data from the PREPARE result (if it does indeed
> exist).

Looking into this a bit further, it looks like the client driver needs
to deserealize 2 blocks of meta data from PREPARE message, i.e. invoke
whatever routine parses the meta data twice to get result column meta
data.

So if this is correct, then the correct frame definition of the RESULT
of a PREPARE message should look like this:

The result to a PREPARE message. The rest of the body of a Prepared result is:
  where:
    - <id> is [short bytes] representing the prepared query ID.
    - <metadata> is defined exactly as for a Rows RESULT (See section
4.2.5.2) - this represents the type information for the query
arguments
    - <metadata> is defined exactly as for a Rows RESULT (See section
4.2.5.2) - this represents the type information for the query result
columns

Does this make sense to anybody?

Or have I just been looking at the wrong version of the spec all along?