Is it the accumulated tombstones on a row that make it act as if “wide”? Does
cfhistograms count the tombstones or subtract them when reporting on cell-count
for rows? (I don’t know.)

-- Jack Krupansky

From: Keith Wright
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:24 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Cc: Don Jackson
Subject: Re: Hot, large row

Ha, check out who filed that ticket!   Yes I’m aware of it.  My hope is that it
was mostly addressed in CASSANDRA-6563 so I may upgrade from 2.0.6 to 2.0.9.
I’m really just surprised that others are not doing similar actions as I and
thus experiencing similar issues.

To answer DuyHai’s questions:

How many nodes do you have ? And how many distinct user_id roughtly is there ?
- 14 nodes with approximately 250 million distinct user_ids

For GC activity, in general we see low GC pressure in both Par New and CMS (we
see the occasional CMS spike but its usually under 100 ms).  When we see a node
locked up in CMS GC, its not that anyone GC takes a long time, its just that
the consistent nature of them causes the read latency to spike from the usual
3-5 ms up to 35 ms which causes issues for our application.

Also Jack Krupansky question is interesting. Even though you limit a request to
5000, if each cell is a big blob or block of text, it mays add up a lot into
JVM heap …
- The columns values are actually timestamps and thus not variable in length
and we cap the length of other columns used in the primary key so I find if
VERY unlikely that this is a cause.

I will look into the paging option with that native client but from the docs it
appears that its enabled by default, right?

I greatly appreciate all the help!