I have setup Cassandra into VPC with the EC2Snitch and it works without
issues. I didn't need to do anything special to the configuration. I have
created instances in 2 availability zones, and it automatically
picks it up as 2 different data racks. Just make sure your nodes can see
each other in the VPC, e.g. setup a security group that allows connections
from other nodes from the same group.

There should be no need to use public IP's if whatever talks to cassandra
is also within your VPC.

Hope this helps.
Bram