EBS vs local SSD in terms of latency you are using ms as your unit of
measurement.
If your query runs for 10s you will not notice anything. What is a few less
ms for the life of a 10 second query.

To reiterate what Rob said. The query is probably slow because of your use
case / data model, not the underlying disk.

--

Ben Bromhead

Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr
<http://twitter.com/instaclustr> | +61 415 936 359