"Tombstones will be a very important issue for me since the dataset is very
much a rolling dataset using TTLs heavily."

--> You can try the new DateTiered compaction strategy (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-6602) released on 2.1.1 if
you have a time series data model to eliminate tombstones