Stephane,

We are having a somewhat similar C* load profile. Hence some comments
in addition Nikolai's answer.
1. Fallback to STCS - you can disable it actually
2. Based on our experience, if you have a lot of data per node, LCS
may work just fine. That is, till the moment you decide to join
another node - chances are that the newly added node will not be able
to compact what it gets from old nodes. In your case, if you switch
strategy the same thing may happen. This is all due to limitations
mentioned by Nikolai.

Andrei,