Well, as I understand it, deleting the entire data directory, including
system, should have the same effect as if you totally lost a node and were
bootstrapping a replacement.  And that's an operation you should be able to
have confidence in.

I wonder what your load does if you run nodetool cleanup on another node -
maybe you just have a lot of old unowned data sitting around on nodes.