On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Vasileios Vlachos <
vasileiosvlac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any other occasion that hints are stored and then being sent in a
> cluster, other than network or other temporary or permanent failure? Could
> it be that the client responsible for establishing a connection is causing
> this? We use the Datastax C# driver for connecting to the cluster and we
> run C* 1.2.18 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Other than restarting nodes manually (which I consider a "temporary
failure" for the purposes of this question), no. Seeing hints being stored
and delivered outside of this context is a warning sign that something may
be wrong with your cluster.

Probably what is happening is that you have stop the world GCs long enough
to trigger queueing of hints via timeouts during these GCs.

=Rob