Both Java driver "select * from table" and Spark sc.cassandraTable() work well.
I use both of them frequently.

At 2015-01-28 04:06:20, "Mohammed Guller" <moham...@glassbeam.com> wrote:

Hi –

Over the last few weeks, I have seen several emails on this mailing list from
people trying to extract all data from C*, so that they can import that data
into other analytical tools that provide much richer analytics functionality
than C*. Extracting all data from C* is a full-table scan, which is not the
ideal use case for C*. However, people don’t have much choice if they want to
do ad-hoc analytics on the data in C*. Unfortunately, I don’t think C* comes
with any built-in tools that make this task easy for a large dataset. Please
correct me if I am wrong. Cqlsh has a COPY TO command, but it doesn’t really
work if you have a large amount of data in C*.

I am aware of couple of approaches for extracting all data from a table in C*:

1)      Iterate through all the C* partitions (physical rows) using the Java
Driver and CQL.

2)      Extract the data directly from SSTables files.

Either approach can be used with Hadoop or Spark to speed up the extraction
process.

I wanted to do a quick survey and find out how many people on this mailing list
have successfully used approach #1 or #2 for extracting large datasets
(terabytes) from C*. Also, if you have used some other techniques, it would be
great if you could share your approach with the group.

Mohammed