Sorry, my bad. I misread as 1.2.4 for some reason!

You should be able to do it with the 2-way upgrade then. Don't forget that
once you upgrade to 2.0.x you need to perform a "nodetool upgradesstables"
and this is where, in my point of view, things can get tricky. First make
sure you have the space available (it will probably duplicate your space,
since both new and old tables need to coexist for a while. It depends if
the process goes in parallel or not, which I don't know). And some for
security sake I would do it one by one, so if things go bad, you have one
node down. Once this process is done, the upgrade to 2.1.x should be
simple. Make sure the new machines joining in are 2.0.X. Then upgrade all
the cluster. Maybe you can even work it from your version to 2.1.x since
you are already network compatible, but 2.1.x brings new features (the new
counters) that could prove problematic if (I assume that is the case) you
will keep your cluster running.

Some oversimplified documentation can also be found here:
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/upgrade/doc/upgrade/cassandra/upgradeCassandraDetails.html

I had my fair share of bad upgrades with Cassandra, and also a couple of
good ones. The approach I used last time was the safest I ever did, but for
sure, the most time consuming of them all.

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo
Cassandra Consultant

Pythian - Love your data