Can you run nodetool tpstats and check if there is pending requests on
GossipStage.
The timeout should not affect gossip (AFAIK).
As for problems you can have with this state is, if your nodes are marked
down for long and if you are using hinted handoff, your hints may not be
delivered and your data can be out of sync (can be fixed by increasing the
timeout limit or during repairs).

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo
Cassandra Consultant