Hi Mark, Cass Savy, Robert...

I confirm that Cassandra runs on JRE ( or JDK because a JRE is provided
with JDK ).
Oracle (ex Sun Microsystem) is the best choice to make Cassandra running
without issue.
(there is some problems with IBM JVM or OpenJDK).

Here's a screenshot of Cassandra 2.1.2 running on my computer (Linux Ubuntu
14.04 x86-64 with JDK 1.6.x).

Regards.
Karim Duran.

​