What is the maximum number of events that you expect in a day? What is the
worst-case scenario?

Mohammed

From: cass savy [mailto:casss...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:21 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Data tiered compaction and data model question

We want to track events in log  Cf/table and should be able to query for events
that occurred in range of mins or hours for given day. Multiple events can
occur in a given minute.  Listed 2 table designs and leaning towards table 1 to
avoid large wide row.  Please advice on

Table 1: not very widerow, still be able to query for range of minutes for
given day
and/or given day and range of hours
Create table log_Event
(
 event_day text,
 event_hr int,
 event_time timeuuid,
 data text,
PRIMARY KEY ( (event_day,event_hr),event_time)
)
Table 2: This will be very wide row

Create table log_Event
( event_day text,
 event_time timeuuid,
 data text,
PRIMARY KEY ( event_day,event_time)
)

Datatiered compaction: recommended for time series data as per below doc. Our
data will be kept only for 30 days. Hence thought of using this compaction
strategy.
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/datetieredcompactionstrategy
Create table 1 listed above with this compaction strategy. Added some rows and
did manual flush.  I do not see any sstables created yet. Is that expected?
 compaction={'max_sstable_age_days': '1', 'class':
'DateTieredCompactionStrategy'}