Content management (large blobs such as images and video) can be done with
Cassandra, but it is tricky and great care is needed. As with any Cassandra
app, you need to model your data based on how you intend to query and
access the data. You can certainly access large amounts of data with
Cassandra, but you need to carefully design the chunk size so that you
optimize between size of an individual request, the total number of
individual requests, and the degree of parallelism between requests. That
means balancing between designing for locality for efficient single
requests, and designing for distributed storage for efficient parallel
requests. Unfortunately, there is no magic answer for what the chunk size
should be. In this case it may be driven by what fraction of the image can
be efficiently rendered as well as transferred over the network, coupled
with how much load there may be on each server node due to number of
clients making requests. Only a proof of concept implementation can give
you the answers that you need.

I would surmise that your optimal chunk size for image processing might be
on the order of 1MB. Maybe smaller, like 100K, or maybe bigger, like 2 MB
or maybe 5 MB, but I don't imagine that individual Cassandra requests for
more than a low number of MB per request are going to work out well. And if
you carefully design your partition key so that chunks for an image will be
distributed around the cluster, then multiple chunks can be fetched in
parallel without causing a single request to tie up server resources for
too long. And even if requests come in to the same server, there is some
benefit to each being dispatched separately in parallel, so that the
results of one can be shipped back to the client even as the other(s) are
still being processed.

A single large request is an anti-pattern for Cassandra, as is a large
number of very small requests (to satisfy one client operation.)

As mentioned before, you may need to come up with some other unit of
storage than something as small as a single or partial scan line of an
image. Some sort of bucket or chunk that optimizes transfer is best.

You will also have to look at how many total requests you will need to
render an image for the client. I would surmise that you wouldn't want that
to take more than a few dozen Cassandra operations in a small number of
seconds.

-- Jack Krupansky