From: http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/modern-hinted-handoff
Repair and the fine print

At first glance, it may appear that Hinted Handoff lets you safely get away
without needing repair. This is only true if you never have hardware
failure. Hardware failure means that

   1. We lose “historical” data for which the write has already finished,
   so there is nothing to tell the rest of the cluster exactly what data has
   gone missing
   2. We can also lose hints-not-yet-replayed from requests the failed node
   coordinated

With sufficient dedication, you can get by with “only run repair after
hardware failure and rely on hinted handoff the rest of the time,” but as
your clusters grow (and hardware failure becomes more common) performing
repair as a one-off special case will become increasingly difficult to do
perfectly. Thus, we continue to recommend running a full repair weekly.

--
Paulo Ricardo

--
European Master in Distributed Computing

*Royal Institute of Technology - KTH*
*Instituto Superior Técnico - IST*
*http://paulormg.com <http://paulormg.com>*