Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but we are trying to model a user-generated tree hierarchy in which they create child objects of a root node, and can create an arbitrary number of children (and children of children, and on and on). So far we have looked at storing each tree structure as a single document in JSON format and reading/writing it out in it's entirety, doing materialized paths where we store the root id with every child and the tree structure above the child as a map, and some form of an adjacency list (which does not appear to be very viable as looking up the entire tree would be ridiculous).

The hope is to end up with a data model that allows us to display the entire tree quickly, as well as see the entire path to a leaf when selecting that leaf. If anyone has some suggestions/experience on how to model such a tree heirarchy we would greatly appreciate your input.