On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Jonathan Haddad <j...@jonhaddad.com> wrote:

> There's no downside to running upgradesstables. I recommend always doing
> it on upgrade just to be safe.

For the record and just my opinion : I recommend against paying this fixed
cost when you don't need to.

It is basically trivial to ascertain whether there is a new version of the
SSTable format in your new version, without even relying on the canonical
NEWS.txt. Type "nodetool flush" and look at the filename of the table that
was just flushed. If the version component is different from all the other
SSTables, you definitely need to run upgradesstables. If it isn't, you
definitely don't.

If you're going to run something which unnecessarily rewrites all SSTables,
why not scrub? That'll check the files for corruption while also upgrading
them as they are written out 1:1...

=Rob