On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Anuj Wadehra <anujw_2...@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

> Often we face errors on Cassandra start regarding unfinished compactions
> particularly when cassandra was abrupty shut down . Problem gets resolved
> when we delete /var/lib/cassandra/data/system/compactions_in_progress
> folder. Does deletion of the folder has any impact on  integrity of data or
> any other aspect?

While I have no specific knowledge about this case, it is difficult to
imagine how canceling a compaction could have any meaningful negative
effect other than the normal penalty one pays for uncompacted data.

"nodetool stop" can also cancel compactions, probably by approximately the
same mechanism as removing an in-progress-compactions file.

However if you can reproduce this reliably, you should :

1) file a ticket on http://issues.apache.org
2) respond to this mail letting the list know the JIRA # of the ticket

=Rob