I’m not sure I get everything about storm stuff, but my understanding of
LCS is that compaction count may increase the more one update data (that’s
why I was wondering about duplicate primary keys).

Another option is that the code is sending too much write request/s to the
cassandra cluster. I don’t know haw many nodes you have, but the less node
there is the more compactions.
Also I’d look at the CPU / load, maybe the config is too *restrictive*,
look at the following properties in the cassandra.yaml

   - compaction_throughput_mb_per_sec, by default the value is 16, you may
   want to increase it but be careful on mechanical drives, if already in SSD
   IO is rarely the issue, we have 64 (with SSDs)
   - multithreaded_compaction by default it is false, we enabled it.

Compaction thread are niced, so it shouldn’t be much an issue for serving
production r/w requests. But you never know, always keep an eye on IO and
CPU.

— Brice

sorry i take that back we will modify different keys across threads not the