From: Sandeep Gupta [mailto:sandy....@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 11:46 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Fwd: Data Modelling Help

Hi,

I am a newbie with Cassandra and thus need data modelling help as I haven't
found a resource that tackles the same problem.

The user case is similar to an email-system. I want to store a timeline of all
emails a user has received and then fetch them back with three different ways:

1. All emails ever received
2. Mails that have been read by a user
3. Mails that are still unread by a user

My current model is as under:

CREATE TABLE TIMELINE (
    userID varchar,
    emailID varchar,
    timestamp bigint,
    read boolean,
    PRIMARY KEY (userID, timestamp)
) WITH CLUSTERING ORDER BY (timestamp desc);

CREATE INDEX ON TIMELINE (userID, read);

The queries I need to support are:

SELECT * FROM TIMELINE where userID = 12;
SELECT * FROM TIMELINE where userID = 12 order by timestamp asc;
SELECT * FROM TIMELINE where userID = 12 and read = true;
SELECT * FROM TIMELINE where userID = 12 and read = false;
SELECT * FROM TIMELINE where userID = 12 and read = true order by timestamp asc;
SELECT * FROM TIMELINE where userID = 12 and read = false order by timestamp
asc;

Queries are:

1. Should I keep  read as my secondary index as It will be frequently updated
and can create tombstones - per
http://docs.datastax.com/en/cql/3.1/cql/ddl/ddl_when_use_index_c.html its a
problem.

2. Can we do inequality check on secondary index because i found out that
atleast one equality condition should be present on secondary index

3. If this is not the right way to model, please suggest on how to support the
above queries. Maintaining three different tables worries me about the number
of insertions (for read/unread) as number of users * emails viewed per day will
be huge.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards!

Keep Walking,