On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Aiman Parvaiz <ai...@flipagram.com> wrote:

> Thanks Sean, in this scenario also I would end up running 2 versions of
> Cassandra as I am planning to do a rolling upgrade and hence zero downtime.
> Upgrading in place one node at a time would lead to running 2 versions,
> please let me know if I am missing something here.

Running a cluster with nodes of two different versions during a rolling
upgrade, for the duration of the upgrade, is (mostly) supported [1].

Modifying cluster topology (adding or removing or replacing nodes) during
such an upgrade is not.

It is a fair statement that with very large clusters and very slow
upgradesstables, the ability of any operator to operate in this manner
approaches not-possible. I don't know how people with truly huge clusters
deal with this race.

=Rob
 [1] some operations are not supported possible with some combinations of
versions. for example one cannot repair in some cases.