On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Mohammed Guller <moham...@glassbeam.com>
wrote:

>  By that logic, 2.1.0  should have been somewhat as stable as 2.0.10 (the
> last release of 2.0.x branch before 2.1.0). However, we found out that it
> took almost 9 months for 2.1.x series to become stable and suitable for
> production. Going by past history, I am worried that it may take the same
> time for 2.2 to become stable.

The instability of initial point releases is a significant part of the
motivation for the new release cadence.[1] If new versions continued to
take just as long to be production ready, the new process would have failed
at one of its major goals...

For the record, I agree with the reasoning in the linked post and am
cautiously optimistic about the effect it will have on the stability of
released versions. :D

=Rob
[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-dev/201503.mbox/%3CCALdd-zjAyiTbZksMeq2LxGwLF5LPhoi_4vsjy8JBHBRnsxH=8...@mail.gmail.com%3E
"
Unfortunately, even after DataStax hired half a dozen full-time test
engineers, 2.1.0 continued the proud tradition of being unready for
production use, with "wait for .5 before upgrading" once again looking like
a good guideline.

I’m starting to think that the entire model of “write a bunch of new
features all at once and then try to stabilize it for release” is broken.
We’ve been trying that for years and empirically speaking the evidence is
that it just doesn’t work, either from a stability standpoint or even just
shipping on time.
So, I’d like to try something different.  I think we were on the right
track with shorter releases with more compatibility.  But I’d like to throw
in a twist.  Intel cuts down on risk with a “tick-tock” schedule for new
architectures and process shrinks instead of trying to do both at once. We
can do something similar here:

One month releases.  Period.  If it’s not done, it can wait.
*Every other release only accepts bug fixes.*

By itself, one-month releases are going to dramatically reduce the
complexity of testing and debugging new releases -- and bugs that do slip
past us will only affect a smaller percentage of users, avoiding the “big
release has a bunch of bugs no one has seen before and pretty much everyone
is hit by something” scenario.  ***But by adding in the second rule, I
think we have a real chance to make a quantum leap here: stable,
production-ready
releases every two months.***
"

(*** emphasis mine)