Looks like all of this is happening because we’re using CAS operations and
the driver is going to SERIAL consistency level.

SERIAL and LOCAL_SERIAL write failure scenarios¶

> <http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/dml/dml_config_consistency_c.html?scroll=concept_ds_umf_5xx_zj__failure-scenarios>If
> one of three nodes is down, the Paxos commit fails under the following
> conditions:
>
>    - CQL query-configured consistency level of ALL
>

>    - Driver-configured serial consistency level of SERIAL
>

>    - Replication factor of 3

I don’t understand why this would fail.. it seems completely broken in this
situation.

We were having write timeout at replication factor of 2 .. and a lot of
people from the list said of course , because 2 nodes with 1 node down
means there’s no quorum and paxos needs a quorum.  .. and not sure why I
missed that :-P

So we went with 3 replicas, and a quorum,

but this is new and I didn’t see this documented.  We set the driver to
QUORUM but then I guess the driver sees that this is a CAS operation and
forces it back to SERIAL?  Doesn’t this mean that all decommissions result
in failures of CAS?

This is Cassandra 2.0.9 btw.