Over the weekend and after some more looking around and following this old
mailing list post

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cassandra-user/201406.mbox/%3cca+vsrlopop7th8nx20aoz3as75g2jrjm3ryx119deklynhq...@mail.gmail.com%3E

I was able to get my 2 node test env to move to over 3 node RF 3 cluster in
private subnet VPC in region B. I updated the RF when I started replication
between C* in public subnet to private subnet in region B.

The catch here is that since the test env was 2 nodes and both nodes were
in one AZ changing snitch to EC2Multiregion didnt afftect the replica
placement and hence I was able to get away with a rolling restart  but in
production I have 10 nodes spread over 2 AZ running simple snitch. I wonder
what would be the best way to change snitch live in this scenario.

One way I think would be to get all nodes in one AZ and then switch the
snitch that way ec2multiregion would report all nodes in 1 Rack but I am
open to suggestions also if this is a valid concern.

Thanks

--
*Aiman Parvaiz*
Lead Systems Architect