This all seems fine so far. Are you able to see what errors are being
returned?

We had a similar issue where one of our secondary, less used keyspaces was
on a replication strategy that was not DC-aware, which was causing errors
about being unable to satisfy LOCAL_ONE and LOCAL_QUORUM quoroum levels.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Tom van den Berge <
tom.vandenbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> I'm using the PropertyFileSnitch, and it contains entries for all nodes in
> the old DC, and all nodes in the new DC. The replication factor for both
> DCs is 1.
>
> With the first approach I described, the new nodes join the cluster, and
> show up correctly under the new DC, so all seems to be fine.
> With the second approach (join_ring=false), they don't show up at all,
> which is also what I expected.
>

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Tom,
>>
>> What's your replication strategy look like? When your new nodes join the
>> ring, can you verify that they show up under a new DC and not as part of
>> the old?
>>
>> --Bryan
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Tom van den Berge <
>> tom.vandenbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to start using vnodes in my cluster. To do so, I've set up a new
>>> data center with the same number of nodes as the existing one, as described
>>> in
>>> http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/configuration/configVnodesProduction_t.html.
>>> The new DC is in the same physical location as the old one.
>>>
>>> The problem I'm running into is that as soon as the nodes in the new
>>> data center are started, the application that is using the nodes in the old
>>> data center is frequently getting error messages because queries don't
>>> return the expected data. I'm pretty sure this is because somehow these
>>> queries are routed to the new, empty data center. The application is not
>>> connecting to the nodes in the new DC.
>>>
>>> I've tried two different things to prevent this:
>>>
>>> 1) Ensure that all queries use either LOCAL_ONE or LOCAL_QUORUM
>>> consistency. Nevertheless, I'm still seeing failed queries.
>>> 2) Start the new nodes with -Dcassandra.join_ring=false, to prevent them