Hi Tom,

this sounds very much like my thread: "auto_bootstrap=false broken?"

Did you try booting the new node with survey-mode? I wanted to try this,
but I am waiting for 2.0.17 to come out (survey mode is broken in earlier
versions). Imho survey mode is what you (and me too) want: start a node,
accepting writes, but not serving reads. I have not tested it yet, but I
think it should work.

Also the manual join mentioned in CASSANDRA-9667 sounds very interesting.

kind regards,
Christian