> So if you have a topology that would change if you switched from
>> SimpleStrategy to NetworkTopologyStrategy plus multiple racks, it sounds
>> like a different migration strategy would be needed?
>>
>> I am imagining:
>>
>>    1. Switch to a different snitch, and the keyspace from SimpleStrategy
>>    to NTS but keep it all in one rack. So effectively the same topology, but
>>    with a different snitch.
>>    2. Set up a new data centre with the desired topology.
>>    3. Change the keyspace to have replicas in the new DC.
>>    4. Rebuild all the nodes in the new DC.
>>    5. Flip all your clients over to the new DC.
>>    6. Decommission your original DC.
>>
>> That would work, yes. I would add :
>
> - 4.5. Repair all nodes.

I can confirm that the above process works (definitely include Rob's repair
suggestion, though). It is really the only way we've found to safely go
from SimpleSnitch to rack-aware NTS.

The same process works/is required for SimpleSnitch to Ec2Snitch fwiw.

--
Nate McCall

Co-Founder & Sr. Technical Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting