the below solution should work.

For each node in the cluster :
 a : Stop cassandra service on the node.
 b : manually delete data under $data_directory/system/peers/  directory.
 c : In cassandra-env.sh file, add the line JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS
-Dcassandra.load_ring_state=false".
 d : Restart service on the node.
 e : delete the added line in cassandra-env.sh  JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS
-Dcassandra.load_ring_state=false".

thanks
Sai Potturi