I'm glad to hear that you got it working; but I'd suggest trying to answer
these questions before moving forward with this solution:

1. is the set of columns really that dynamic? if not, then define them
upfront. there's no weight to empty columns.
2. if the set of columns is really dynamic, would using 1/more map
column(s) be better?

Avoiding to modify the schema dynamically and avoid concurrent schema
changes is always better.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 7:40 AM, Rajesh Radhakrishnan <
rajesh.radhakrish...@phe.gov.uk> wrote:

> We got a work around now!
>
> Thank you Laing for the reply.
> Yes I do agree with your point, but we got a scenario where the columns
> need to be added in the later stage of the process.
> We are doing the following:
>
>    1. CREATE THE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS
>    2. INSERT IDS INTO THE TABLE
>    3. CHECK THE COLUMN NAMES OF THE TABLE
>    4. GET A LIST OF _NAMES (PYTHON SCRIPT)
>    5. ALTER TABLE IF THE _NAME(S) DONT EXIST IN COLUMN NAME
>    6. UPDATE TABLE WITH THE VALUE OF THE NEW COLUMN
>
> In our process step 3 to 6 are repeated.
>
> Now what I did is replaced session.execute(...) to
> session.execute_async(...) only for ALTER and UPDATE statements.
>
> And introduced 1 sec sleep for each ALTER statement and 5 sec sleep before
> UPDATE statement.
>
> It WORKS! now. I dont know this is right solution, but its a work around.
>
> So clearly some config value need to be updated for some parameter in
> cassandra.yaml
>
> Do you know which one?

>>> import uuid
>>> from cassandra.cluster import Cluster

Bests,

Alex Popescu | @al3xandru
Sen. Product Manager @ DataStax