Thank you Robert and Anuja,

It does not seem that sstable2json is the right tool to go: there is no
documentation beyond Cassandra 1.2, it requires a specific sstable to be
given, which means a lot of manual work.

The documentation also mentions it is good for testing/debugging but I
would need to migrate near 1 TB of data from a 6-node cluster to a 3-node
one. Neither copying sstables/nodetool refresh seems a great option as
well. Unless I am missing something.

Using sstableloader seems a more logical option. Still a bottleneck if you
need to do it for every node in your source cluster. What if you had a
100-node cluster?

Thinking of just running a simple script, instead, that selects data from
the source cluster and inserts them to the target one.

Kind regards,
George