There are buggy versions of cassandra that will multiple tombstones during
compaction. 2.1.12 SHOULD correct that, if you’re on 2.1.

From:  Kai Wang
Date:  Monday, December 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM
To:  "user@cassandra.apache.org"
Subject:  lots of tombstone after compaction

I bulkloaded a few tables using CQLSStableWrite/sstableloader. The data are
large amount of wide rows with lots of null's. It takes one day or two for the
compaction to complete. sstable count is at single digit. Maximum partition
size is ~50M and mean size is ~5M. However I am seeing frequent read query
timeouts caused by tombstone_failure_threshold (100000). These tables are
basically read-only. There're no writes.

I just kicked off compaction on those tables using nodetool. Hopefully it can
remove those tombstones. But is it normal to have these many tombstones after
the initial compactions? Is this related to the fact the original data has lots
of nulls?

Thanks.