8G is probably too small for a G1 heap. Raise your heap or try CMS instead.

71% of your heap is collections – may be a weird data model quirk, but try CMS
first and see if that behaves better.

From:  Mikhail Strebkov
Date:  Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM
To:  "user@cassandra.apache.org"
Subject:  Unable to start one Cassandra node: OutOfMemoryError

Hi everyone,

While upgrading our 5 machines cluster from DSE version 4.7.1 (Cassandra 2.1.8)
to DSE version: 4.8.2 (Cassandra 2.1.11)  one of the nodes can't start with
OutOfMemoryError.

We're using HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM/1.8.0_45 and G1 garbage collector with 8
GiB heap.

Average node size is 300 GiB.

I looked at the heap dump with YourKit profiler (www.yourkit.com) and it was
quite hard since it's so big, but can't get much out of it:
http://i.imgur.com/fIRImma.png

As far as I understand the report, there are 1,332,812 instances of
org.apache.cassandra.db.Row which retain 8 GiB. I don't understand why all of
them are still strongly reachable?

Please help me to debug this. I don't know even where to start.
I feel very uncomfortable with 1 node running 4.8.2, 1 node down and 3 nodes
running 4.7.1 at the same time.

Thanks,
Mikhail