I meant to reply earlier that the current DataStax doc on EC2 is actually
reasonably decent. It says this about EBS:

"SSD-backed general purpose volumes (GP2) or provisioned IOPS volumes (PIOPS)
are suitable for production workloads."

with the caveat of:

"EBS magnetic volumes are not recommended for Cassandra data storage
volumes for the following reasons:..."

as well as:

"Note: Use only ephemeral instance-store or the recommended EBS volume
types for Cassandra data storage."

See:
http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.x/cassandra/planning/planPlanningEC2.html

-- Jack Krupansky