I think the key to your problem might be around "we overwrite every value".
You are creating a large number of tombstones, forcing many reads to pull
current results. You would do well to rethink why you are having to to
overwrite values all the time under the same key. You would be better to
figure out haw to add values under a key then age off the old values. I
would say that (at least at scale) you have a classic anti-pattern in play.

*.......*

*Daemeon C.M. ReiydelleUSA (+1) 415.501.0198London (+44) (0) 20 8144 9872*